How to create a Sacred Altar for your Women’s Circle
The art of creating the sacred altar (or centrepiece) is a magical and mystical aspect of a Women’s Circle.
As participants arrive at your Women’s Circle, they see the sacred altar at the centre of the space. This acts as the focal point of your Circle. It is the gateway into the Circle dimension of time and space. It is the anchor point that each participant’s energy passes through.
…each women connects to her own centre, connects with the centre of the circle, and feels like both a spoke and a part of the rim. Invisibly part of a wheel, connected to everyone else in the circle through the centre. This is what makes circle a sacred space.– Jean Shinoda Bolen in The Millionth Circle
The Power of the Sacred Altar
An altar is something that, when you behold it, it brings you back to yourself.– Margot Adler in Drawing Down the Moon
- is a representation of your intention for the sacred space
- brings a beautiful focal point to the Circle
- gathers the energies of all present in the Circle
- is a ritual process in co-creation
8 Steps to Create your Sacred Altar with Intention and Beauty:
Take time to connect with your intention and the meaningful purpose of your Circle.
Start to collect the materials and items that represent your intention and theme.
Decide if you will create the centrepiece alone or within your Circle. If you will co-create, extend an invitation to the women gathering to bring an item to add. You may wish to be prescriptive in line with your theme or simply ask them to bring an item that has meaning to them.
Choose a beautiful piece of fabric, sarong, scarf or invest in an altar mat, cloth or tray.
Think about the colours you wish to us and what they can represent:
- Red for playfulness, vulnerability, passion, energy, fire, root chakra, maiden archetype
- Orange for warmth, enjoyment, nurturing, creating new things, sacral chakra, mother archetype
- Yellow for cheerfulness, self-power, focus, self-esteem, individuality, solar plexus chakra, wild woman archetype
- Green for connection, harmony, balance, compassion, forgiveness, heart chakra, medicine woman archetype
- Blue for freedom, space, clarity, communication, truth, throat chakra, muse archetype
- Indigo for inspiration, wisdom, perception, intuition, third eye chakra, wise woman archetype
- Purple for transformation, shape shifting, crown chakra and priestess archetype
- Air: feathers
- Fire: candles or red flowers
- Water: a bowl of water or a mirror
- Earth: stones, soil or crystals
- fresh flowers or petals
- responsibly foraged items
Create a Sacred Altar for your On-Line Women’s Circle
If you’re holding an on-line circle, there are many ways you can create the altar:
- create the altar in advance and share a photograph or the individual items, with an explanation of what they represent
- join the call from a second device and have the camera on the centrepiece so they can see it throughout the Circle
- create a collective virtual altar by inviting participants to bring an item for the altar and share what they brought and why